Friday 5 December 2014

The way to Tahoe Lake

After Sonora pass the mountains continuing, not as rugged as the High Sierras but it is mountains. A storm  got closer and closer to me doing a lot of noise, by lunch time after try to escape all the morning it started to rain. I hate this, you hike all the morning and when it is your lunch break it rains. I found a huge tree over some rocks where I did a quick shelter with a piece of Tyveck.



At night was a little bit of gourmet night, it is what happens after resupply, you have all those good foods. We started to cook over the fire. I did some nice Panini’s with cheese and chorizo and Red Bandit some burritos. After go to sleep with all the food as a pillow waiting for the bear to come.

It rains during the night I woke up with the entire tent wet. I thought to stop during the day to dry it but I never did, it is something that I never do, unpack the tent just to dry....to lazy.  The scenery has changed, it is dryer, with volcanic mountains, weird rock formations, less water. Most of the creeks are feed by snow, now, there is not much snow left and you feel that creeks are getting dryer. This area is used by the USA army as training ground for Afghanistan.


Those days I am carrying a lit bit more of food and eating more. I lost some weight during the sierras and I cannot afford lose more or almost at this pace. I am trying to get into the 4000 Kcal per day.

I have to say, the views today were spectacular. I arrived first to camp (21 miles) so I light the fire for the rest. I could keep going but I still have to dry bag and tent. Next day was the Carlson pass where people invite us to fresh fruit. It was a bicycle race over the road so there were a many people around, something that I am not used to at this moment. Leaving the Carlson pass I saw for the first time the Tahoe Lake, huge with all those clouds around. On the way up to Shower Lake the mosquitoes just ate me. I had to do a quick emergency stop to put full rain gear to be protected.



The Campground of Shower Lake was the busiest that I saw in the PCT, maybe 20 tents. I hope that in the future will not finish like this all the way to Canada.  There was an instructor, the typical that “knows “everything, I was looking how he hangs the food from a tree, he explain me the technique. After he said – this is how we hang the food in the PCT. I thought – nobody hang the food in the PCT, you retard. Tomorrow 14 early miles and World cup Final!

No comments:

Post a Comment