Monday 15 December 2014

Sierra City to Belden


South Feather fork River _ pic from CheeseBurger, Thanks

We got early into Sierra City with the news that there were not power in the town but a guy is doing a Barbecue in the middle of the town for breakfast. The atmosphere in town was weird. The main trail angel of the town was kicking off everybody from his garden as he was feed up with the behaviour of some. Not sure if it was a bad night, the end of the season or just too much hikers this year.

Sierra city seems to me like the classic republican town. There is a not trespassing sign nearly in every house with political message around. So hikers maybe doesn’t fit well, don’t get me wrong, many people treat us really well but need to start to prepare itself to accommodate more hikers, movie is coming and next year the problem will get bigger. They should face the situation.


Thanks for the Pic

I found some old friends from the desert, specially Will, It was nice to see him again. Around 11 am the power came back and maybe 20 hikers were waiting for resupplies. After 30 minutes the owners went out of the tent with a trolley full of 1 L ice- cream. They gave us all to PCT hikers as it was to long without refrigeration. It become the ice cream day, Sierra City, ice cream town!

With this weird ambient in town I decided to hike out. I met many hikers: Cheeseburger, Danger Spoon, Cracker Jack , Sting Cheeses and also Will was around. The mileage was good. The hard part was the climb after Sierra City, you get used to, and after resupply is always a big climb with a heavy pack.

One of those evenings we run to get into the South feather fork River. This is one of those magic spots of the PCT. I sat after a long day in the cascade as a Jacuzzy and jump from pool to pool, take all the dust out and have dinner by the river, the moral was really high, I put another 3 miles after doing a 23 , pretty good for me. I Camped with Will by the river. String- cheese slept in the bridge, good and dangerous spot.  Maybe.







Next day we reach the top of the mountain before Belden town. Perfect spot. I cowboy camp with Cheese burger and CJ. Those moment is when you thing how lucky I am doing this, asking for those 6 moths sabbatical. Cooking dinner at this altitude, having a perfect view of the surrounding valleys. watching our next targets for the following days. I can see Lassen national peak with the picks. Observe the incredible sun set, all orange around us. Sleep looking to the starts, no tent. I woke up in the middle of the night and see the milky way, I looked to CJ , he was also awake taking pictures of the milky way . I think is the first time I see it properly, wow. And wake up with the incredible Sun rise, Thanks PCT, you just think what people is missing in the cities........






The morning was hard as legs suffered descending 10 miles. In this little town call Belden ( it is just a resort ) I saw a lot of movement , I asked witch day is today, It is Thursday ? yes, it is the set up day for the house festival starting tomorrow . Great...........

1 comment:

  1. How many days did it take to get from Sierra City to Belden? Was there good multiple sources of water on the way? Any place to resupply in between?

    Thanks for your notes!

    ReplyDelete