Saturday 30 August 2014

Mt Whitney


The night was not as cold as expected for this altitude ( 3500 m I think). I did not sleep very well as I  set the tent in not a very flat spot. At 5.30 I started the way up. I left the tent and the bear canister in camp but I carried up my rest of my gear, it is too much risk for me. I slept at high altitude so I thought I would be ok. I was wrong . I started suffering very early. I couldn't breath, not feeling very well. Every 200 m I have to stop. I drank and eat. I started to improve little by little . I think more the altitude it was the air so cold in the early morning.



At 8.00 I was feeling much better, and finally I summit ed. it was harder than expected, 4400 m altitude.

At some point Zero, a PCT hiker arrived:

- I brought a German beer but I am already with the altitude, he comment.

I thought I was bad in the way up but I went down I saw the people like a Zombies. They are crazy. I stopped a guy. I asked a question and he took 10 seconds to give me an answer...... People need to stop and recover.... They come from the Portal, the other side of the mountain and I imagine they have to gain more altitude..


Back in the lake we catch some trout by hand . One bring the trout up the river and the other just wait in the shallow part to catch them. We did some Titanium brusquetas with those.



We still had some time to get closer to Forester pass. I dreamed many times about it. We finished 9 miles from it. Tomorrow is maybe the most iconic point of the PCT. It is the peculiarity of having a small ice shot in the top with a big fall. This year should be ok as there are not much snow.

Last night I hear some noise  I did not know what it was. I discovered today that a marmot did a hole in the hip pocket of the back pack. It was the bloody marmot of Guitar lake , watch out people!!. Bears are ok, marmot are the problem......

No comments:

Post a Comment