Saturday 9 August 2014

1st day in the Sierras

Sorry sorry...... I am still on the trail. In this moment I am in Ashland..... I had been very unlucky with the opening times and dates when I got into towns . Always reaching the town on sunday monday. I will try to catch up as much as possible. Everything goes well, on track and lucking forward to Oregon!!!!

Back to sierras:


We woke up knowing that we have to climb all day, around the 1000 m, not much, but with all the sierra gear and food for 7 days it was enough. The first part I did alone  and I saw a coyote. We did breakfast in a huge valley  with a river and a bridge. Perfect place. In the afternoon we continue climbing in group with stops evey 45 minutes. We were suffering. My water filtration system by gravity is working well just need some time to set up but I am happy. It is slow but better than squeeze . i left tonight 2 l filtering and hopefully it will not freeze during the night.


Valleys that goes to higher valleys , like this all the time. When we reach the top we saw what we thought it was Mt Whitney. In the way down we decide to stop to cook. We are in bear territory and the procedure is not to cook where you sleep. Cook little bit before. We are carry also the bloody bear canister. It weight more than 1 KG. I can not fit the 7 days of food inside. So I sleep with the canister away of me and the rest of food with me.


Going down I saw a deer, nothing special but 5 minutes later i looked left and I saw a bear. I want to shout to the rest of the people, Bear Bear, but I have to grap them and point it, not noise ..ppssss. It did not see us. We took a few pictures. It is really big, I thought it was like a big dog, No. If you trouble with one you have not chance. This is the things that you want to see during the PCT. Lucky day for me: Coyote, dear and Bear. mountain lion is next. We are sleeping 2 miles away from the bear encounter in Death creek. Good night....









1 comment: