Saturday 17 May 2014

San Bernardino to Big Bear

I woke up alone in the tent site. I decide to go up 2.5 mile up to the next site to find Breakfast. there I met Girly Girl, Tinman, blue and broncos. we have breakfast after do the introductions and explanations of our trail names. i left them breaking down camp. in my mind was to do 24 miles, new record for me. Soon I left the canyon changing the landscape from desert to high mountain. It was difficult to keep the breath for the altitude. I stopped to filter some water and recover. It was snow all over. I decide to go slow , very slow . I was doubting that i would be able to do the 24 miles. In the way up I met one girl running out of food. I gave her a emergency ration ( poptarts ). i had to stop and have a nap and get use to altitude. Always happen to me this. When I get into altitude I feel sleepy. My problem today has been also my knee, it is hurting . i will need to take a zero day in Big bear Lake to try to recover.  



San Bernandino mountain are beautiful. Trail goes through steep slopes and big pines. Around 16.00 I reach the top on the range, 2600 m. I could camp there and get a freeze night  or push 8 more miles. I was with other hiker who decided to go down and me behind. I was quite lucky . there were easy miles. Finally we got in camp. And after me the kill road boys and water bed. Nice! we have dinner and we share the story from the last 2 days. Apparently we were camping very close at all the time but we never see each other.


The night was cold cold. it is the firts time in the PCT with a really cold night. I did not exit the tent until 7.00 am ( late for me ) I keep walking a couple of miles to warm up and have breakfast with the kill road boys. See pic.



We reach the road and took about one hour to get a ride to town from a ex - marine....
Hostel very cool. In a bed after 2 weeks. Time to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment